WHAT IS THE SPORTS PREMIUM?
The government provided funding of £150 million per annum for the academic years 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and has continued this into the academic year 2016/17. This is to continue to provide substantial primary sport funding. The aim of this funding is to help improve the quality of sport and PE for all children.
Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil – here it will mean around £9,000 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in school, but we have the freedom to choose how we do this.
Here at Cloudside we aim to:
- Develop a range of provisional and alternative sporting activities available
- Target groups of pupils to help improve their physical development
- Increase participation rate in sporting activities
- Improve in partnership work on physical education with other schools and other local partners.
So far we have chosen to use our funding for the academic year 2016/17 in the following ways to help us achieve this:
- Signed up for the Erewash School Sports Partnership bronze package, so that we can access competitions and a small amount of CPD, should we need it.
- Provision of sports coach to help deliver quality PE lessons alongside the class teachers, to enable our teachers to be up skilled and to make sure that the pupils are getting access to high quality PE.
- Continue to monitor the uptake of afterschool clubs and offer free places for pupil premium pupils if they are not accessing the clubs.
We will monitor the standards and effectiveness of this provision over the course of the year, to enable us to decide where the rest of the funding needs to be spent and to inform decision about next year.
END OF YEAR REVIEW
The up take in PE and sports has been fantastic this year and the pupils have really enjoyed having access to a wide range of sports. The lunchtime provision has been particularly successful in engaging pupils in sport and also helping with lunchtime behaviour, which means that next academic year it will be funded from the main school budget.
For a full break down of how the funding has helped pupils to participate in sport please see the Sports Funding review.